Wednesday, December 9, 2009

JUST ABOUT TODAY IN MY LIFE-What About Street Lights?

Street Outside My House from front porch, after dark!


Street Outside my house from front porch, after dark!


Street Outside my House from my front porch, after dark!

I had never really given much thought to street lights until the last couple of days.  There's nothing like a carjacking at your home to alert you to providing safety measures to prevent such an occurrence ever happening again.  As you can see from the pictures above, there are no streets lights along my street.  I'm in the city limits, so I'm researching what it will take to add a street light.  I first checked with Alabama Power to see if they installed the street lights.  I sent them an email and received a response within an hour, which I thought really good.  They will install security lighting as well on an existing pole, not sure what that means, so I sent another email for clarification.  Wondering if they could install on a house or tree. I haven't received anything back yet.

As far as street lights, they will install if the city is willing to pay the monthly charge.  So I had to call the city clerks office who took my information and will pass it onto the mayor who should get back with me whether or if they will pay the monthly charge and when it would be installed.  Does anyone know the city's responsibility in this type of situation?  So far everyone has been helpful, now I'm just waiting to see what the results will be.

I know that I'm working through feelings of anger, fear and the loss of my sense of security, so I hope y'all will bare with me.  I'll try not to be too morbid.  It's just that I think so many of us, especially women, don't pay attention to their personal safety as they should.  That being said, hindsight is always better than foresight.  But one thing I do know ladies is that there is no can of mace or a gun that awill help you if you turn the corner to step up on your deck or porch and meet the fist of a 5'10" to 6'1" man! I'm just grateful his intent was only to steal my car and not do any further physical harm, though he did push me down! When that fist hits you in the face, you see stars and are so stunned that any kind of action is prevented.  A fist knocked me back and around, so that all I could do was to keep my knees from buckling causing me to fall down.  Since my arms were loaded with those plastic grocery bags that I hang on my arms so I can bring in seven bags at one time, my body wanted to sag due to gravity, and my mind said "stay upright", but once he grabbed my keys and gave me a push, I went down. I've had people tell me to go out and buy a gun. What if I had been holding a gun, he could have snatched it from me and shot me.  I'm angry because there was nothing I could do!  I can write the sequences now, but it all happened within seconds, and my car was gone and I was left there alone in the dark, my face hurting and me screaming!

What about y'all?  Do you have sufficient lighting on your street, and if not, will your city provide street lights? I think it's important to find out! You have a vote and they will usually provide an answer to your questions.  Such as I found out this past summer that the owner of an empty house is responsible for keeping the yard cut and keeping the lot clear.  All I had to do was notify the city, they in turn notified the owner who didn't come and cut the yard, so the city did and charged the owner.  It must have been a hefty fee as the owner did keep the yard cut the rest of the summer!

Usually the city clerk of a small city or town goes out of their way to help people, or at least the one here in my city does!

One thing for sure, Saturday morning I didn't need street lights to see what was outside my windows!  See below!
Saturday, Dec 5th, 2009-see it coming down! Isn't it beautiful!

You want to see some good "first" snow of the season, go the "On Larch Lane" HERE, Lou posted some new pictures, she's even animated her post to seem like snow is falling on her post.  I've got to figure that one out!

Thanks for listening!



13 comments:

arlee bird said...

I live in a gated community and it has some streetlights but it's still pretty dark. Behind my house is the wall that surrounds the neighborhood which is on a busy street that is very well lit. Our city had some crime and gang activity when we moved here, but the city has been very proactive and amazing in their efforts to clean up the city and reduce crime.
A security light on a pole near your house might be pretty adequate.

Lee

Mighty M said...

I think it's great you are working on the issue! We have great street lighting now, but at my old house we had ZERO lights and it was terribly dark!!

Agnes said...

Ah! Snow! Beautiful!!!!!

You're not being "too morbid" Judy. Not at all. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I am gonna check our street lights tonight...

Mattenylou said...

Judy, Thanks for the link to my blog! That was so nice of you! The fallng snow is a widget, I can send you the link, if you'd like.

Maybe you/me/all of us should look into getting some motion/heat detecting lights, for around our doorways. I used to have them, and they work well. They are not expensive, and some can be added to your existing outdoor lighting.

We should be safe in our own yard, I hope they punish these attackers, something more than a slap on the hand ... in the meantime, I'm going to invest in some more outdoor lighting.

Judy Harper said...

Lee-I think our city is working on keeping our city crime free. We're a small incorporated city. I like living here. I've never been afraid before.

M-Lights are so helpful!

Agnes-I think snow is beautiful to look at. Did you check out the snow on Larch Lane (the link I posted) That's the beginning of snow!

Lou-you're welcome, and I would like for you to send me the widget to have snow falling! Thanks!

Stephen Tremp said...

What a story. I'm glad that you're okay. Hope to see you up and running new blogs again soon. And thanks for stopping by this past week as I was not able to visit other bloggers while my computer was down. Have a great and safe weekend.

Stephen Tremp

2 Toddlers and Me said...

That's awesome that you are trying to get street lights installed. A wonderful idea. I have been trying to get a stop sign installed on my street and have met no response. So you are ahead of me. I haven't been extremely proactive about it, but you've encouraged me to pursue this more aggressively.

Dori said...

I love how you are working on getting things done with your street light. And the snow photo is so beautiful. Stay warm :)

Mountain Woman said...

I found your blog through Dori's blog. I'm so very sorry you had such a terrible thing happen. I was robbed once and I can understand some of what you are going through.
We don't have street lights but I'm way out in the country where we don't even lock our doors.
I think the suggestion for motion lights is a good one too.

Judy Harper said...

Stephen-Glad you now have a laptop. Thanks for stopping by!

Me-I'm trying to funnel my anger and fear into something positive, hence street light.

Dori-Thanks for stopping by, I'm looking forward to your posting of your trip here in the states to Georgia!

Mt. Woman-You were robbed! It is a scary moment! Glad you're okay. I'm going to call Alabama Power tomorrow and have them install a dusk to dawn security light. Plus the motion lights. Thanks for stopping by!

sheeza said...

its really so nice that you are working for this issue. as it will not even help you but also you neighbours.

great.

and yes here in lahore there are proper lights even in streets.

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

there is a light at the end of our drive and we have the security lights at the house and also a very large and protective dog with BEWARD OF DOG signs every where. some people do get the signs - without the dog - and that deters intruders also.

so sorry to hear this happened to you. can't even imagine. in my thoughts and prayers

Forever Friends - said...

WOW, that is such a beauitful picture. I love the snow but not the mess it creates.
Beth-Forever Friends