Thursday, December 3, 2009

NOT Just A Day In My Life-The Car Jacking!

I know that I posted I wanted to do the 30 posts in 30 days, that was my plan, unfortunately, an unusual, and I hope never again event happened in my life.

Usually I arrive home from work between 4:30 PM and 5:00 PM.  However, this past Tuesday evening, December 1st, I went by the grocery store and arrived home at around 6:30 PM.  Usually if I know I'm going to be late, I leave the carport and front porch light on.  I didn't this past Tuesday, so my house was dark both inside and outside.  I have a motion sensitive light on my deck, but you have to go to a certain point before it will come on.  After pulling my car into the carport, I opened my car trunk, pulled bags that had fruit in them that I intended to take to work, placed them close to the back of the backseat, fussed around for a few minutes.  Then gathered up the remaining six or seven bags.  I clicked the car doors as though unlocking them so the headlights would come on and I could see how to step up on the deck without falling.  I had my car keys in my left hand.  As I got to the steps, I slightly turned to lock my car doors and at the same time realized there was a figure standing there with his right arm raised, I glanced up as he stepped toward me into the headlights glare and I saw a partial face of a man wearing, the thought ran through my mind, a navy hooded sweatshirt type jacket, I think it's called a "hoodie".  At this point, his fist connected with my lower jaw, stunning me.  I always wondered if ever I was in this type of a situation would I be able to scream or would my voice freeze. I now know I would scream and keep screaming! I started screaming even as he felt among the grocery bags, grabbed the car keys, pushed me to the carport floor, then he raced to the driver's side, jumped in and cranked it.  The only time I experienced fear was as I lay on the carport floor, the thought ran through my mind that he could pull the car forward and run over me as I lay in front of the passenger wheel.  So I jumped up and got on the side door steps, still screaming.  He backed out of the carport, headed east to the stop sign, turned left and headed out of my area.  Later two of my neighbors who ran up the hill two blocks over told me he passed them as they ran up the hill.

I continued screaming until my neighbor S, three houses down, ran up the street to my yard at which point she said, "I'm almost there, you can stop screaming now!"

She called 911 and reported the crime and asked for an ambulance as my face was bleeding and I had blood on my face and hands.

He didn't steal my purse as it was still on my left arm, so I reached in and found my spare set of car and house keys. I unlocked the side door and went into my house.  At some point, the Sheriff's department asked if I had OnStar, I told S, "Yes".  They suggested I call and see if they could track my car. Which S did.

The paramedics arrived, then a deputy Sheriff who looked an awful lot like Wesley Snipes.  One of my neighbors even asked if he'd been told that by anyone before.  He rolled his eyes and said, "Yes."

The paramedics determined I needed to go to the emergency room for stitches as he had hit me hard enough for my tooth to cut the skin all the way through.  It took one stitch on the outside and two on the inside. Plus I had to get a tetanus shot and an antibotic. When I woke up the next day, the area under my eyes had turned black and my mouth was swollen.

One of the best points of OnStar is that they were able to locate my car within twenty minutes enabling the Sheriff's department to find my car within thirty minutes of the crime.  It happened at 6:30 PM, they had my car by 7:00 PM.  Unfortunately, the person wasn't sitting inside the car.  They took my car to the downtown County Sheriff's building.  Let it sit overnight, then proceeded to process it as a crime scene.  They found two items in the car that wasn't mine as well as being able to lift a good finger print and DNA.

If you don't know your neighbors, make a point to introduce yourself and exchange phone numbers.  This will pay off, even if you don't become best friends.  They at least know who you are and will be aware you live in the neighborhood! I thank God I had done this!  It made a difference!

One thing I won't do in the future, go in through my deck door where my neighbors can't see me and aren't aware I'm having trouble until too late.  NEVER leave my house in the winter time without leaving lights on!

Of course, the last two days I haven't been able to talk as I strained my vocal chords, but at least I know how to scream, I mean, neighbors three blocks over head me and came to check on who was screaming and find out why.

Neighbors are really part of your extended family!  Get to know them!  I found out how wonderful and caring my neighbors are.

Oh, my car, I picked it up today without any damage.  I do need to run it through the car wash to remove all that black powder, but hey, such a small thing in the scheme of things!


27 comments:

Grannymar said...

Judy, I am so sorry that you had to endure this trauma. I am sure eating and drinking are difficult at the moment.

Thank you for blogging about the ordeal, we all need to learn from it.

Do take care.

Lán grá & Big hugs

sheeza said...

That's terrible To hear. How are you know? Get well soon, and take slot care of yourself. :-)

Mighty M said...

Such a scary ordeal! I can't believe that happened to you! I am so glad your neighbors heard you and come to your aid and I am so happy you are doing okay!!

Judy Harper said...

Grannymar/Sheeza-Thanks! It is hard to eat. Now that I have my car back, all the adrenlin left and I've hit bottom. I'm going to stay at home tonight.

Agnes said...

My goodness Judy -- I am so glad you're {relatively} OK! What a shock -- I don't even know what to say, except that I am so glad you're safe. I hope you're OK.

Judy Harper said...

M-I would never have thought it would happen to me. This year has been a rough year-total knee replacement, two trees, at different times, fell on my house, than this. In all my years, I've never had anything like this. I've been talking with God and letting Him know that I've got His message. He will take care of me no matter what! So He can stop sending all these two by fours to get my attention. I believe He will take care of me when I retire, so don't be anxious! lol

Agnes-Thanks! It is a bit of a shock! I do appreciate you stopping by, now I'm home and have my computer, I can read your post!

arlee bird said...

I'm so sorry about what happened, but you sure are taking it well. I'm glad it wasn't worse and hope that guy is found and taken off the streets so he can't hurt anyone else.
Take care and yes God is always there! Who can fathom his workings sometimes, but it all works out for good in the end.
Lee

Feeling Fit With Dana said...

OMGness Judy! I can't believe this happened to you. Thank God you are okay. I'm glad that your neighbors were able to get there quickly! Take it easy for the next few days. Bless you!

Judy Harper said...

Lee-He is there and I've learned that! Thanks!

Dana-Thank you so much. I'm at home and I have my car back! Thank God!

jenie said...

THAT'S TERRIBLE!

oh how wicked the world is nowadays. we really have to be very careful all the time. tsk. im glad though that you're all okay aside from those stitches.

BTW, you are linked in all 4 of my blogs ;) hope you can come and see them...maybe link them too?
at-a-blink
earthy me
heartQUAKES
life round me N you

Marianna said...

Oh, Judy, This is something that we never wish on anyone.

I'm so glad that you were able to put this in perspective. It could have been so much worse. Bad enough, though.

Thank you for offering tips to all of us. It makes it so much more real, as we "know" you. I'm going to circulate this within our neighbourhood.

Heal well and quickly.

gaelikaa said...

Oh, my God! Judy! Thank God you're okay!

MelRoXx said...

So sorry that you had to go through this! I am so glad you are (almost) okay! praying for you! x

MelRoXx said...

So sorry that you had to go through this! I am so glad you are (almost) okay! praying for you! x

Magpie 11 said...

Hi, Sorry to read about this. I can't imagine how you feel but am full of admiration for your "spunk".
A neighbour of ours had a whole van full of vegetable boxes, his cards, driving license, house keys and I don't know what taken a few days ago. He had got out to go round to the back of the van.
Take care to get well and I know we'll all be thinking of you.

David

Judy Harper said...

Jenie-I'm looking forward to coming to your blog. Thanks for your concern.

Marianna-Yes, pass it around and encourage people to leave their phone # with a neighbor and get their phone #! Neighbors are our extended family! They can help. One of the thoughts after it was all over, is some of the relaxing techniques you listed on your site. I think this is why I didn't hyperventilate! I'm glad I've been reading your posts!

gaelikaa-Thanks so much!

Mel-Keep those prayers coming! They do help!

David-I'm one of these people that can imagine the worst before it happens. But reality is nice, for lack of a better word. Once something actually happens to me, I face it and get on with life. The unknown is my worst enemy. The only flashback I'm having is the surprise of turning the corner a the figure moving. It was a black shadow coming to life. It could have been so much worse, but wasn't, I'm grateful for that! Thanks for your concern!

Mommy Attorney said...

I'm so sorry. We are all so glad that you are ok. It's just so scary! It's really made me think twice about getting home late at night by myself.

2 Toddlers and Me said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you are okay. That had to be so frightening. You make some very good points about getting to know your neighbors. Your neighbors sound wonderful! Again, I'm glad you are okay and hope you heal quickly.

giftsofthejourney said...

Good gracious Judy! I go away for a few weeks and miss a few posts and this is what happens!

I pictured you in a small town in Alabama filled with nothing but nice folks like the one my step-mom is from.

I am so glad you're safe! I can't believe that @&@*( ( sorry...it makes me want to use bad language)...I can't believe he hit you!

So glad your neighbors were close enough to help too.

I have to thank Maria for sending me over. I've got to catch up with everyone when I get back to England. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Big hugs!

Paige said...

Oh bless your heart! Thank you for reminding us all to be a little safer during this time of the year. I am so thankful you were not seriously injured and that you were able to recover your car. I hope you recover quickly!

Just stopping by from SITS to wish you a Happy Saturday!

Maggi said...

Holy moley! I came over to wish you a Happy Saturday Sharefest from SITS, goodness! lol I'm glad you're okay!!!

Dame Nuisance said...

Judy, Judy, Judy! I'm so sorry that happened to you, but I'm thankful it wasn't worse. Good for you for screaming your head off! I'm back to blogging now that I have survived November, stop on by when you get the chance. No need to hurry.

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

Mattenylou said...

Oh Judy, what a horrible thing! Who would ever expect something like that to happen after arriving home 'safe' from your day. Just when you felt 'I'm home', to get startled and attacked by an unknown person in your own yard is just awful! So scary! I hope you are feeling better, I'm thinking about you.

Lesson for us all, be more aware of our surroundings, even when we think we are in a safe place.

Lori said...

Stopping by from SITS. A few days ago I wrote a post called 'pleather for eternity' but your story is far worse than what happened to me. xo

Helen McGinn said...

Oh Judy, this is truly awful. I'm so sorry. I've been thinking about you a lot the past few days and if karma works, I'm sending you lots of it! xx

Farida said...

Just reading this for the first time. Very glad it wasn't worse. Did you get your locks changed yet? Had a great time at the party Saturday! Are you up for anything this weekend?

Dori said...

Oh Judy, I'm so glad that you're safe. Here's a {{hug}} for you. This is so scary! Bless your heart. Sending lots and lots of love to you :)