Wednesday, August 3, 2016

My Favorite Soup: Tomato

My homemade Tomato soup-08/01/2016
IT ONLY TAKES 30 MINUTES 

     I love tomato soup, especially with a grilled cheese sandwich.  When I buy soup, it's usually Campbell's; but there's some herb in any processed soup that hours, after I've eaten, I can still taste, one of those green floating oneS. Or maybe it's cilantro. 
     Over the weekend I got a craving for tomato soup. Going on line, I searched for an easy recipe for making it. On the food Network, I found one by Rachel Ray, "Quick Creamy Tomato Soup".
I modified hers a bit, she uses two 15 ounces of stock, while I only used 11/2. She recommends either chicken stock or vegetable, I used vegetable because I like the flavor better. I only use chicken with chicken.  I also added 2 cubes (1 teaspoon) of sugar as Rachel Ray's was a bit tart).As you can see in the picture, it  made quite a lot, so I froze individual servings as well as one large, for quests.
     Here's my recipe: 1 large can of pureed tomatoes (I use Hunt's, just use your favorite)
                                  11/2 to 2 15 ounce vegetable or chicken stock (I used Swanson)
                                  1 cup of heavy cream ( I used whipping cream which has less fat)
                                  Coarse salt and pepper (season to your taste ( I left the pepper out)
     Combine broth and tomatoes in a medium saucepan (see picture) over moderate heat. When soup bubbles, stir in heavy cream and reduce heat to low. Season with salt and pepper and simmer gently 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. From start to finish, it only takes about 30 minutes.
     Use your favorite toppers, I used toasted french bread and shredded cheese. Now me, I love red Kool-Aid, and for some reason, it goes well with tomato soup. My favorite is Tropical Punch. Hope you enjoy!


3 comments:

Rummuser said...

Mine is leek and potato. I am a vegetarian.

Judy Harper said...

I've always wondered what leeks taste like. Are they good. Do you share your leek and potato soup recipe? As a vegetarian, do you eat cheese and can you eat heavy cream? Thanks!

Rummuser said...

I love the taste and flavour of leeks. I will post my own recipe in one of my blog posts soon.

I do eat all dairy products including all types of cheese and cream. I also eat eggs occasionally.