Tuesday, August 2, 2016

I'm A British Mystery Buff, Big Time!

M. C. Beaton's, Agatha Raisin, HERE

     
     To me, the best mystery author ever is Agatha Christie; and the best actor to play Poirot is David Suchet. He and PBS, over the last twenty- five years, have made all of the Poirot stories into movies, including the very first book, which will explain why and how he ended up in England, and why he became a detective. The book and PBS movie (Masterpiece) is "The Mysterious Affair At Styles". If you stream Acorn.TV on RUKO, you can see everyone made starring David Suchet.  The fun thing to do is print off a list of the Poirot stories and watch them in chronological order. The reason I say stories is I think they use some of the short stories as well. You can also see her Miss Marple on Acorn. 
     Over the years I've read and re-read, watched and re-watched the Poirot and Miss Marple books, until I can almost quote them, which has lead me to look for other authors.
     M. C. Beaton is the pseudonym of Marion Chesney when she writes mysteries. She writes the Hamish Macbeth series, which I am not a big fan; but her Agatha Raisin series is my favorite. Today I discovered this has been made into a series! It's currently showing on AcornTV, so it will probably be on PBS. Amazon is supporting Acorn, so you're not able to buy it presently there; maybe once it's off Acorn.
     Agatha Raisin had her own PR business. When she was a child her family visited Cotswold, a small village in England. She promised herself that when she grew up, she would live there. The first novel deals with a middle aged business woman from London, who buys a house in Cotswold and tries to adjust to village life, even buying a quiche made by a professional cook and entering it into the fete "Best Quiche" baking contest. The outcome is hilarious. The book is titled "The Quiche of Death".I hope you enjoy this series as much as I am. If you click HERE you will be taken to M. C. Beaton's website and will see the series book list.

2 comments:

Rummuser said...

I am surprised that Sherlock Holmes does not feature among your favourites!

Judy Harper said...

I have never liked Sherlock Holmes. To me he bullied Dr. Watson and his arrogance about being better than regular people and the arrogance that he would never be addicted to the cocaine he took. Of course, the way he was presented in movies and TV by actors didn't help.