Saturday, August 6, 2016

Growing Up In Rural Alabama and Georgia-About That Iron Pot For Laundry.

Image result for black iron pot for laundry
Borrowed from Google Free Pictures


Borrowed from Googles Free pictures


Borrowed from Googles Free pictures


Borrowed from Googles free Pictures


Borrowed from Googles Free Pictures

     I know last week the post was about my grandparents and great-grandparents, during the early 1900's. Yet, some of the issues, such as no running water, outside bathrooms and no electricity carried through until the early 1960's for rural Alabama and Georgia. My sister-in-law asked the question about hot water to do the wash.  I remember going to my Aunt Jessie's house with my Mom. She'd bring our dirty laundry and they'd combine the clothes and do the washing together. The main reason for doing this was the hot water. My Aunt Jessie had one of those black cast iron pots (see top picture) and we didn't. All of us kids drew water out of the well or tracked down to the spring and brought up the water. My brother LH and my cousin Donnie "toted the water from the spring", it was a bit of a journey. I remember the crisp sunny days when we did this. I'm trying to remember if my Aunt had a wringer washer or a wringer tub washer, (see above pictures) or if they placed the clothes in the pot. I do remember the bed clothes being placed in the hot pot while Mom and Aunt Jessie took turns stirring them with a wooden pole. Talk about white sheets!  I know, eventually, they both finally got a wringer washer and my Mom always had two tubs of rinse water side by side. She'd use the washer wringer from the washer, then wring by hand from the first tub into the second tub, then use the washer wringer from the last tub so they would dry quicker. My brother hated wash days, as he had to bring the water up from the spring. I remember my baby sister Pam got her arm caught in the wringer, and everyone was running around trying to pull the electric cord and pop the wringer open.
     One of my fondest memories is going to sleep between freshly washed sheets that had dried outside in the sun. Such a clean smell  

2 comments:

Rummuser said...

Sun dried clothes is a luxury that I can still afford as I have a small garden in the front of my ground floor flat. The smell is simply fantastic.

Judy Harper said...

I could put a clothesline up in my backyard, but I've got so many squirrels that I;m afraid they'd build a nest between my sheets! lol But I do love that sunshine spell.