Monday, April 23, 2012

The Pea Patch, also Known As "Lovers Lane"!

I borrowed this picture of a field of peas from Seniors Walking Across America

     Have you ever been driving along, thinking, when all of a sudden a weird thought pops into your mind? I was driving from my Mom's house to back my house today when it happened to me. I can't tell you what triggered the thought, but there it was, "The Pea Patch".
     I'm betting most places have a "Pea Patch", you know that place you go to when you're a teenager on a date or a single man or woman going to college but still living at home and you want to make out. There may be other names for it, but it's there. My guess, they're more prevalent in rural areas, then cities.  But I'm guessing, cities have places like a "Lovers Lane" as well.
     Being one of those kids that began school at the age of five, I was a senior in high school when I turned sixteen.  My parents were strict and I wasn't allowed to date until I was sixteen, which made it hard as most of the people in my class had started dating in our junior year and some when we were sophomores.  The first time I was asked out after reaching the momentous sixteen, we had to take my fifteen year old brother with us. We decided to go to a drive in movie, don't ask me what was playing, and don't ask me why we made the mistake of letting him sit in the backseat of the car, rather than moving him to the front.  So for days I had to listen to him tattle to Mom and Dad about, "Steve and Judy were kissing"! And of course the old, "I saw Judy and Steve K-I-S-S-I-N-G"! So there was no way we were going to the "Pea Patch"!
     It wasn't until the summer after I graduated from high school that I actually was taken there.  He had graduated the year before me and joined the Army.  He was a gunner on a helicopter during Vietnam. He happened to be home on leave and heard I had joined the Air Force, wanted to know if I wanted to go on a date.  Of course I did! Good looking guy, a soldier, a gunner on a helicopter during a war. You know how young people think, particularly a young girl. This was a romantic notion to die for!
     But you know what, we mostly sat and talked. That's not to say there wasn't some K-I-S-S-I-N-G going on, but for all of the fogged windows and how romantic movies make it, a car isn't a comfortable place to make out. Plus after sitting and talking it just didn't seem the thing to do on that date. 
     What about your "Pea Patch" or "Lovers Lane" experience?  

2 comments:

Vicki Valenta said...

I really enjoyed this post about your own "lover's lane" experiences. I think I'll write a post about mine. We parked at a place on Shoreline Drive called Poenisch Park. There really wasn't a park, just a place to park. In our hometown parking was known as "watching the submarine races."

Rummuser said...

You don't want to know!