Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Genealogy-Are All Members Of A Tree Actually From That Line?

Julia May Turner

    If you are a member of Ancestry.Com, once you create your tree, you have green leaves to pop up and give you hints, such as information others who are researching the same person, have keyed onto their tree.  This is a great help, but you have to be careful. For example, the picture above has almost the same name as my Grandpa Turner's mother.  I was tempted to attach this photo to "Julia Ann Corbin Turner".  Then I realized a couple of things, one, the name is different, plus, birth and death dates were wrong for Julia Ann Corbin Turner.
     The Turner side, my Mom's side, is giving me so many brick walls, even with DNA contribution.  The Turner DNA has more surname West matches than Turner, even with an upgrade to the 37 match test.  I know that William Hunt Turner is a complete match, since he was born 1818 in South Carolina, he is probably Esley Turner's brother.  I know that Hellum Marion Turner is a 37 out of 37 match. Now here is where you have to be careful, on several of the censuses, Margaret is listed as mother, but she was only 12 or thirteen when he was born. I'm in communication with the person who is researching Hellum, but she only knew as far back as his two sons, her uncles. She knew nothing about Hellum or Esley. So was Hellum a son, brother or cousin?
     Now on my Dad's side, the Harpers, I've got the reverse problem, too much information.  The oldest ancestor match is 1796.  So I've created him in my tree.  All kinds of green leaves popped up.  I thought I had hit the mother lode! Then I realized there were names listed as parents who had birthdays after the people listed as children. Then there are same names, but different dates or maybe listed on a tree that isn't a match, so whose tree should John Harper be on? 
     What I have done is show the matches from my DNA as a decedent, then follow down to the next one with just a surname to mark the spot. When information comes along, try to get in touch with the tree owner and ask for a paper trail.
     On Friday nights, Ancestry.com has a show "Who Do You Think You Are?", spotlighting celebrities.  They make use of researchers and old records.  It would be nice to afford to be able to do that!
     Currently, a Liberian from the Pickens County, Georgia library is helping me.  Of course, it has to be in her extra time.  There are some who will research for you, but again, be careful.  I see people copying or borrowing stuff from my trees all the time.  Which is okay, that's the whole point of having public trees, to help each other, but I see 2000 names on their trees.  It makes me wonder if they're creating trees for someone who has hired them.  Then I wonder if they have a paper trail for all those names.
     Genealogy is fun and addictive! Once you begin your journey back in time, it is so interesting.  You keep thinking, I'll sign off once I solve this or a nugget of information pops up and it's hard to sign off that computer.
Jessie Ree Turner, age 6, Vernell Palestine Turner, my mother, age 2
Taken in 1934.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

How incredible...and what yo describe is exactly why I haven't joined yet; I'm sure I'd be addicted to it. My great aunt wrote a book that has really guided this journey and so really all I'd need to do is plug more recent info. in but perhaps when I retire and have more free time...great blog! and I'm so glad you visited me!