Saturday, April 21, 2012

Pune, India-Also Has A Small Town Life, Forever!

Ramana Rajgopaul
     Friday's post was about living in a small town, or anyplace, all their lives.  I find this subject interesting the older I become.  I'm not for sure why, but I think it has to do with the fact I'm from a small town and in my younger days, especially after graduating high school, I felt trapped and a burning urge to leave and find something, find what I'm not sure I can define.  Then again, maybe it was because as I was growing up, my family moved around a lot. We left Alabama for Georgia and Tennessee, then back to Alabama.  I attended three schools from the time I entered first grade until I graduated. Whatever the reason, I look back and wonder what "if", how would my path have been different if I had never left Henegar, Alabama.
    I joined a writing group, The Loose Bloggers Consortium, in October 2009.  If you want to read some of my contributions to LBC go to my writing blog, A Creative Writer In Progress!, and check out my story LBC-A Journey,which tells about me leaving my small home town, joining the Air Force, and leaving my roots to fly off on a journey, or LBC-Lawyers, where I write about my brother LWH, it has it humorous moments as well as some serious comments about him. If you go to the home page and look to the right side of the page, you will see a label LBC, click on this to view posts. One of my favorite people in the group is Ramana Rajgopaul, that's his picture at the top of the page.
    Ramana, who lives in Pune, India, is a retired Management Professional, who lost his wife in March 2009, after forty years of marriage. 
     His tag line is "Wisdom is Hindsight".  I know y'all have heard me say several times, "Hindsight is better than foresight", which I think is another way of saying the same thing. Ramana left a comment on my post about a similar post on the same subject. I've included an excerpt below, along with a link to click on to read the whole story. While you're there, click on his tab, About Me, to read more of who Ramana is and be sure to read some of his articles. I think you might become a follower.  The Disconnect!
     "Most significant observation that he made about his ignorance of Pune’s topography was that in all his 25 years, he had gone beyond Hadapsar only on a very few occasions, once to the temple town of Alandi ten kilometers North of Kalyani Nagar and once to Padharpur, about a 150 Kms South East of Hadapsar on pilgrimage. He had visited only one land mark in Pune before he acquired the rickshaw and he was only familiar with that area between Hadapsar and Swargate.
     When probed further, he further stated that there were many others in his hamlet and other hamlets near by who have not gone beyond Hadapsar. Ever!"
And that is the paradox. Just under ten kilometers from all that a city can offer and most villagers have not experienced even some of the attractions! What a disconnect! Not one from the villager’s point of view but the city dweller’s ideas about such people. The city dwellers are perhaps not even aware that this can happen.

3 comments:

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

This was a very interesting post. Thank you for sharing this.

Rummuser said...

Judy, you flatter me! Thank you.

Grannymar said...

I came to say Hi after your visit to my blog today. For one moment I thought I was in the wrong place when I saw Ramana looking out at me. Good to have you back blogging again. Will you be rejoining the LBC?