Monday, April 4, 2011

Cousins All The Way Back Too........

Manila & Launa Hilley, cousins, 1920

Waddy Turner 1905

Harper cousins 1965

Turner Reunion 2005

One of the things I love about genealogy is the family get togethers, be it reunions or just a Sunday dinner.  If you are the history person in your family, it's important to find out about the current line as well as the past.  The more stories you have the more history is passed down.  And if you're like me, the stories are so interesting.

The first picture above is that of my Dad's Mom, Manila Hilley Harper and her cousin Launa Hilley.  It seems in addition to being cousins, they were best friends. This picture was taken in 1920.  I think it's a neat picture, a look into a frame of time. The outfits are rather indicative of that time, they were about 19 or 20, Manila was married and had children. She had my Dad in 1916. I look at this picture and realize she had a good friend and a good life, no matter how hard the times were at that time. I also realize that thirteen years later, she died after contracting measles during her pregnancy.  The little girl, Bertha, died as well.  They were living in Rising Fawn, Georgia at the time.

The next picture is from my Mom's side of the family, the Turners.  This is my great-grandfather's brother.  So his children are my cousins. This line in the family has been a hard one to trace. I have it back to 1814, my great-great-grandfather Esley (Easley) Turner.  

The next picture is that of me with my cousins (I'm the one on the far right in the plaid dress) in 1965. I remember some fun times when we got together.  Playing corn bins, barn lofts, hiding in corn fields and playing all kinds of games.  The boy standing behind me was my cousin Terry.  He was a hoot! He had polio as a child and had to wear a brace.  At some point though, he got rid of the brace, and even with his unusual gait, he could outrun us all. Once when we were all together at his house, they had a garden and in the garden was a plant that had what looked like a banana growing on it.  Which is what he told us it was, there were about 4 or 5 of us, between the ages of 5-8. We believed him.  It turned out to be a pepper so hot that we ran into the house crying and wanting wash clothes to wash out our mouths.  I still remember him laughing as my Aunt spanked him. 

In genealogy, it's so important to keep a history of past events so the current generation can enjoy their family and the roots where they came from.  Plus it's so interesting and fun to hear about them.


15 comments:

Karen Walker said...

I am so sorry I didn't get more info from my parents and other elders before they passed. This is lovely.
Karen

Sarah Allen said...

This is great! I love the photos. I come from a huge family, so I know the joy of cousins. Thanks for sharing :)

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Alison Miller said...

I would love to do a little geneaology on my family - supposedly I'm related to Davy Crockett.

Great post!

New follower from A-Z - nice to meet you!

nutschell said...

i love the pictures! ive got hundreds of cousins back home, and most of them I've never met. I wish i could trace my family tree all the way back to the middle ages!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Lynda R Young said...

It's great to have those amazing photos :)

Ju Dimello said...

Love the photos! Great you still have them.. I have to ask my mom if she has any :)

Following you from A-Z challenge!

Bz said...

I wish I knew the joys of a big extended family :) Great post!

Nice to meet you through the A-Z challenge!

Deirdra Eden-Coppel said...

I love your site and as I browsed your blog I decided to award you the Powerful Woman Writer Award.
Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
~Deirdra

StandardSpicyWhatnot said...

Those are amazing photos. I wish my grandmother had not lost her sight. I be she would of been a great blogger!

Craig Edwards said...

Wonderful photos - genealogy is a fascinating subject - and it's amazing sometimes how far back we can get even though record keeping tended to be a little spotty back in the day. Great post! Cheers!

doreen said...

I have just started working on this for my grand children. The stories are just fabulous and honestly it is addicting to just want to know more and more.

Joanne said...

I envy you having all those pictures! Mine stop at my grandparents. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, Joanne

Bob Sanchez said...

Hi Judy,
Sixty is young, I will have you know.

I'm stopping by on the A-Z Challenge.

Bob at bobsanchez1.blogspot.com

kmckendry said...

I love your pictures! I found out that my grandpa's grandfather fought in the Civil War. I would love to find out more about him, I just don't know where to start.

Jiu Jitsu Los Angeles said...

It's amazing that you can track so much of your family, if you just apply yourself and keep up with it. I am not fortunate enough being that I'm adopted, but I am still interested and encourage others to do what I can't. Plus, it's fun!

Sara