Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tuesday and Old Pictures...


My Mom's Family-Esley T. was born in 1880, Georgia

I love old pictures and the stories behind them. Or rather, my story behind the pictures.  This picture was taken in Georgia, right before the family moved to Alabama.  The only children missing are my Aunt Jessie and my Mom.  They weren't born yet.  The tall girl in the back row was my Aunt Agnes, she was 29 years older than my Mom, the youngest child. My Aunt Jessie is 6 years older than my Mom. Do you ever wonder why and how your ancestors ended up where they did?  The reason my Grandpa moved from Georgia to Alabama was due to economics.  One of his friends moved to Alabama, then asked Grandpa to move as well, to help him farm land. So they all packed up and moved to Jackson County, Alabama.  After moving, they had my Aunt Jessie, born in 1925, and my Mom, born in 1931.



My Aunt Jessie on the left and my Mom on the right
1932-33

Can you imagine the story behind this picture! Sister having to watch out for baby sister! Due to what they're wearing, it had to be winter.  I bet it was on a Sunday. I mean, they're all dressed up, right down to the shoes.

I know the Turner's came from South Carolina.  My great-great grandfather was on the 1840 Greenville County, South Carolina census.  It's interesting tracking them from South Carolina, to Georgia and then to Alabama.  My great-granddad Bailey Turner, lived all his live in Georgia, but moved to live with my granddad the last 3-4 years of his live, and died in Alabama.  What I have discovered is that he was ill and moved in with my Granddad.  I wonder why he didn't stay in Georgia?


This was my Grandmother's residence when she died, 1953.  She was living with my Aunt Agnes!



9 comments:

Judy Harper said...

Just testing to make sure comments are working right!

Mighty M said...

Fun to see the history! Was there really a 29 year age gap? That is amazing!

Judy Harper said...

M-Yes, there really was 29 years difference. My Grandmother was 46 and my Grandfather was 51 when my Mom was born. Her sister, the youngest before Mom, is 6 years older.

Jules said...

I absolutely LOVE old pictures. I am always scanning the ones from my grandparents.

Judy Harper said...

Jules-Someone told me that I am the historian of the family. I never really thought of it that way. He said, in every generation, there's usually someone who keeps the history. When I think about it, I see that it's true!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

These are wonderful pictures, Judy!

I love old photos that have been handed down to me. It's so interesting that we're all blithely grinning in our pictures, and they usually look fairly grim in theirs... tougher times, I guess.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder
Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen

Judy Harper said...

Elizabeth-A little bit of trivia history, in order for the image to be burned on the photo plate, people had to be very still for a fairly long period of time. So a brace was placed behind each person and their head was placed into the brace. They could turn or move for a period of time. Which was uncomfortable to say the least.

sheeza said...

wow wonderful collection.

Agnes said...

Ah, what a great post Judy! Love love love old pictures and the stories behind them.