Thursday, January 14, 2010

Are You A Historian?


From my daughter's garden 2006

First, lets keep the people of Haiti in our prayers. To see what you can do to help, go to Mommy, Rocket Scientist and Drool  She has some link information as well as insights to Haiti.

This week must be enjoy the past week Lee from Tossing It Out, has a story and pictures of when his parents were dancers and performed an acrobat act in the 1950 and 1960's. He and his siblings joined them in the 60's.  Several blogs are posting old family pictures and history like On Larch Lane .  I find looking into the past very interesting.  I was commenting to Jules, Wednesday evening, that someone told me that in every generation there's a historian in the family.  I got to thinking about that, and it's true.  My second cousin was the historian on my mother's side in her generation. My Aunt on my dad's side. Are you the historian for your family?  Not sure if you are, here are sure signs.

1.  You love old pictures and are always on the lookout for new old pictures.  You borrow and beg to bring them home to scan or ask if you can have.  As you sit and look at the pictures, you can almost view what transpired.
2.  You go around visiting the older generation to gather information on your ancestors.  It doesn't bore you to listen to stories about your father, mother, grandparents and other members.  The big questions you seek answers for is "where did we come from"? How did we get to Alabama, Tennessee, New Jersey or Maine?
3.  How did our parents meet? You want to write down everything!
4.  You can spend hours on Ancestry.com or Rootsweb.com looking at old census reports or tax records.  The best part about these sights is that you meet others who are doing the same thing or they have information  and then you find a family tree that has your relatives and information you don't have!

If you do any of the above, there's a good chance you're the family historian.  Check out my family blog site 1827-M.C. Harper1890-Arville Harper, Harper of Alabama, GA, SC and Texas.


[OraMae+Harper.jpg]
My great Aunt 1920






5 comments:

Mighty M said...

My olders sister must be the historian then....although she has been taking a break from it lately!!

sheeza said...

i guess i am also a historian. i have a huge amount of old picture collection of my family. and most of all i love to discover old people thought and experience.

sheeza said...

i guess i am also a historian. i have a huge amount of old picture collection of my family. and most of all i love to discover old people thought and experience.

Mattenylou said...

It seems to be me in our family, too. I have put a lot of names into ancestry.com, my grandfather left me his notebooks with 22,000 names.

Interesting... both of my parents are Mayflower descendants, at Plymouth Plantation, today, the ancestors are next door neighbors, I think that's pretty neat, that they were neighbors 12 generations ago!

Agnes said...

I am not much of a historian, I guess. But I really like looking at old photos :-)