Saturday, January 16, 2010

Rainy Saturday and Cooking with Deer Meat!



I have had a lazy day today.  It's raining outside and the wind is howling a bit.  Not a night to be out.  I cooked two dishes this week that I had never tried before.  I cooked two dishes with deer meat for the first time ever! I was pleasantly surprised with the results. I've eaten deer meat before, but never cooked it.   This is deer hunting season in Alabama.  One of our customer's at work gave me "deer" cubed steaks, "deer" hamburger and a "deer" roast. The cubed steaks cooked up deliciously, I made chili with the deer hamburger meat and I cooked the roast today. Tommy told me to cook the meat slower than I would beef and that's what I did! The chili I browned with onions on medium low, then I mixed in McCormick original and mild chili mix with water, simmered for forty five minutes, tasted, then refrigerated until the next night, it is out of this world. The meat texture and taste is really good.  The roast I rubbed with Chef's season blend, then rubbed on Sweet Baby Ray's honey sauce, poured in a mixture of water and 2 tablespoons of A1 sauce, placed in my slow cooker on low for five hours, then increased to high for two hours.  It is now falling off the bone! Right tasty!

Now I must go and study my Sunday School lesson.  Hope y'all have a good night! 

7 comments:

Jules said...

Here in Wisconsin we eat a lot of venison. It tastes wonderful if it is cooked up right.

Judy Harper said...

Jules-I hadn't eaten a lot of venison before. I really couldn't tell the difference between venison and beef, except that venison isn't as greasy and the texture is more like a roast than beef. Tommy killed another deer Friday and said he would bring me more!

sheeza said...

Judy its really sound so delicious. oh my mother tasted deer meat many times when she is abroad and she always tells us that .... deer meat is so delicious......well from your way of telling i can easily feel that...

sheeza said...

Judy its really sound so delicious. oh my mother tasted deer meat many times when she is abroad and she always tells us that .... deer meat is so delicious......well from your way of telling i can easily feel that...

Mommy Attorney said...

Yum! Sounds delish!

Judy Harper said...

Sheeza-your mother is right!

Mommy-It is yummy!

Agnes said...

Never had deer... but I do like rainy days :-)