Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Daughter Is A Better Cook Than The Mother!

The Daughter and Grandkids


JB, my daughter is a great cook, in fact, she loves to cook.  I can be a great cook, but I don't love cooking or haven't in the past.  As I've been watching the Food network I think I know why I don't enjoy cooking.  Growing up, meals were planned mainly to fuel having to work so hard.  I mean, living on a farm is hard work.  The meals were mostly meat and potatoes, gravy and biscuits.  This is good food, but it wasn't the kind of food I cooked after moving out on my own.  I have discovered that unless you use the right spices and seasoning, food is bland and it doesn't look appetizing. So I've armed myself with spices!

When my daughter and family visited over the 4th of July, she decided to cook dinner one night.  She got out the chicken and asked me where my cutting board was.  After she pulled out the board and placed on the cabinet counter, she asked for my pounder, that's right, the pounder.

What she did was take each chicken breast and pound it as thin as she could, then she sprinkled garlic powder and rolled it in Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce then grilled it. It was so moist and tender.

I've slightly modified her recipe by changing how it's seasoned and cooked.  I still pound the breasts and use garlic, but I only use about a teaspoon of SBR sauce and then I place in a baking dish sprayed with butter flavored Pam.  I then place in a 400 degree preheated oven, depending on how many pieces I have, for two or more I cook between 30 to 40 minutes.  Actually, JB said to cook until the chicken juice runs clear. Yes, it will run clear! I was sceptical until I cooked it for the first time.

I've also started buying family size packages of chicken breasts.  That way I can prepare for more than one meal.  I'm more likely to eat nutritionally if I have the food ready to cook.  That way, I package for one meal, or for dinner and then for lunch the next day at work. I also find that if I line the pan with aluminum foil, the spray won't burn on the dish making it difficult to wash clean!

With this meal I also cook a new rice I've discovered, Mahatma Jasmine Thai enriched fragrant long grain rice. This rice, when cooked, is so white and fluffy! It has the best flavor and it only takes 15 minutes to prepare.  I also bake or grill vegetables to eat with the meal.  If you cut the vegetables into quarter pieces, they will cook more evenly.  Spray you pan with Pam butter flavor, then lay out the vegetable, spray again and bake in the 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes, depending on how crunchy you want them.
Grilled Chicken, Rice & Veggies Photo
Borrowed photo-TLC cooking

Hey, just goes to show watching the Food Network is helping!




3 comments:

Gail M Baugniet said...

Wow, those chicken breasts with the jasmine rice have my mouth watering. I plan to look for that rice at my natural foods store. Thanks for the delicious tips, Judy.

Judy Harper said...

Gail-I actually bought the rice at Walmart!

Grams said...

I learned to cook after my daughter got me interested, long after my 50th birthday. I just wasn't interested when I worked full time. Maybe I was just too tired.