Monday, November 1, 2010

Genealogy-What To Do With All This information?

Fall sun-so yellow!

You go and visit your relatives, they let you scan pictures, copy old letters and you write down so much information; stories from the past, notes and sayings, what do you do with this information?

I'm trying to organize mine.  I keep my computer notes and pictures backed up on a CD, just in case the computer crashes, which it did! When's the last time you backed up you document and picture files? Stop and do it now!

I have several color coded binders that I keep my hard copies in.  The Turner side is kept in a 3" green binder, and the Harper side is kept in a mauve 3" inch binder. I have each binder divided into sections, with divider sheets labeled with the person's name.  Under each name I have their family history, though I find the more information I collect, I'm having to transfer some families into their own notebook. In addition, once I scan my pictures I'm storing them in an acid free photo scrap book. Be sure that the photo holder says it is acid free. I'm trying to create a family history book by writing the information as a story rather than a chronological history.  See examples below:


In 2007 I visited the old house. As I walked around the house snapping pictures, I thought how the house had fallen into such disarray. I felt so sad as I have such fond memories of this house.  It didn't take me very long to walk around the house, it didn't look as large as I remember.  I glimpsed a bit of the old veranda that wound around the outside.  As a child of four or five, I remember playing out on it, walking from one side to the other seemed to take forever..

When the house was built, it came with a wide hallway down the middle with the bedrooms on one side, while the kitchen, dinningroom and livingroom were on the other. The hallway allowed wind to blow through and keep it cool during the summer.  In the winter, it was easier to heat the side were the family ate and stayed during the daylight hours. At night, you got ready for bed near the fire, warming the sleeping gown, then made a mad dash to bed so the warm gown would heat it up.  You were lucky if you got a feather bed. That way, you would sink down and be warm.  Having a bed to oneself was unheard of. In the winter, this was a welcomed thing.  I can remember when we visited, usually, all the family came.  We would drive in from Georgia and so would others.  Sometimes there would be four or five girls in one bed. We'd giggle into the night.  Catching up on what had happened in our lives since the last time we saw each other..................


I remember the day we moved to Rossville, Georgia.  I sat in the front seat with Mom and Dad.  We followed one of the pick-up trucks filled with our furniture. One of the sheets that covered the furniture, came loose and began to flap in the wind.  I could see my little rocking chair.  The whole drive up I worried it would fall off and be broken in pieces.  It was a child's red rocking chair. We did finally arrive at the house we were to rent, without one piece of furniture falling off.

After the people who helped us move left, Larry, who was three or four, and I, who was four or five, were sitting out on the cement porch when we spied a lit cigarette.  We decided to pick it up and smoke it.  The smoke burned our eyes and caused us to cough.  We looked up and saw Mom and Dad standing there.  They were laughing at us. I never was able to take up smoking. Which I'm grateful for....................

************************************************

Tomorrow, I start the NaNoWriMo, which is writing 50,000 words by the seat of my pants during the month of November, hopefully this will be a first draft for a novel.  So during the month of November, I will be only be posting Monday of each week.  I'm excited and nervous about this venture, so wish me luck, you can keep up with my progress by going to A Creative Writer In Progress! 



1 comment:

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

JUDY-3! ~
I enjoyed reading your memories. That's good stuffs, Sister!
:o)

~ D-FensDogg
'Loyal American Underground'