Monday, April 26, 2010

I Think I'm "Thunking" Too Much!

Blackeyed Susan

I watched the Hallmark channel's  presentation of "When Love Isn't Enough: The Lois Wilson Story". She was the wife of Bill Wilson, the co-founder of Alcoholic l Anonymous, and the organizer of what is now called AL-Anon, a program for families of alcoholics. In the past, I haven't really been a fan of Winona Ryder, but she did an excellent job in this movie.  If you get a chance, do watch the movie.

What really touched me was how Lois Wilson had to understand and deal with her emotions once her husband stopped drinking.  She felt resentment and anger, mainly because it wasn't her love that turned him around, but  an acknowledgement on his part and talking with other drunks.  

I realized that these emotions are similar in other situations, such as after going through a divorce, or waking up one day and it's close to retirement and so many things are left undone or different life paths didn't get taken. One statement made by Bill Wilson in response to one of the alcoholics commenting on the fact that he didn't know if he liked his wife meeting with Lois and the others while he was attending his meeting.  Bill said, "That they're also just trying to heal, trying to find a way out of the disaster that the drinking had caused in their lives." After watching the movie, I was left thinking about so much in relation to my life. For so many years, the Wilson's didn't have a home. They lived with their friends, sometimes sleeping on floors.  It was a hard life, yet they both helped others as well as themselves.They had to give up so much materially as well as emotionally.  It takes a special kind of person to share so much. So many times Lois Wilson could have left her husband, but she stayed with him through the seventeen years of his drinking.  They lived together until they died, he in 1971 and she in 1988, at the age of 97.

I'm going to say goodnight as I think I'm thunking too much, which late at night, isn't good!

8 comments:

Agnes said...

I kinda like Winona Ryder, not sure why.
Hope you had a good night's sleep Judy :-)

Mighty M said...

I want to watch this when it re-airs!! ;)

mattenylou said...

I missed seeing that movie, but hope to catch it again.

Does life ever follow our plans? Seems there's always another bump in the road or bridge to cross.

Tired Mom Tésa said...

Sounds like a thought-provoking movie that really got you thinking!

Good to see you're back! I was worried about you!

Stephen Tremp said...

I haven't seen this movie. Wifey and I like movies of substance so I'll putt it in my Netflix qeue. Thanks.

Stephen Tremp

gaelikaa said...

Actually Judy, I'd love to see that movie. It sounds wonderful!

MelRoXx said...

I'd like to see that movie. Haven't seen it yet! xxx

Jules said...

I'm just stopping in to check on you. Hope all is well in your world. Come back soon.