Saturday, November 7, 2009

Saturday Morning-Canvas Rugs and Leaves


Deck & Leaves 11/7/09



Backyard 11/07/09


Backyard 11/07/09

I guess you can tell from the above pictures what I'll be doing this afternoon.  As you can also see, there is a glaring sun and just right weather. A very good reason to be outside.  From all the buzzing of blowers, weed eaters, and lawnmowers, I won't be alone!

In yesterday's post I wrote about making canvas rugs.  I left out what to put on the backs once the sealing and varnishing is complete.  The first thing you do is take the canvas off the frame, I have found that a flat headed screwdriver is really good, either way, it's a bit time consuming.  Once this is complete, take some tacky glue and glue down the canvas edges, be careful to not use too much glue as this will cause the glue to run and form uneven bumps (I speak from experience!).  As you see from the picture below, I use Aileen's glue, I have found it to be the best.


Aileen's Tacky Glue

Allow the glue to dry for 24 hours.  Once it has dried, you then cut out a backing for the rug.  I use plain old carpet and linoleum secure it backing, either in rubber or felt.  You can buy it at Bed, Bath and Beyond, Kohl's and I even think Walmart.



Rug secure it backing

Lay out a section of backing, place the canvas so that you can cut it out the same size.  Once the backing is cut, take the tacky glue and make a X with it starting from corner to corner of the canvas, then along the edges. Lay the backing across the canvas, then taking a paper towel, pat starting from the center to the edges, then along the edges. Turn canvas over and taking a clean paper towel so you won't get glue on the front, press along the canvas from side to side.  Let dry 24 hours and you now have a canvas rug.


TinkTink 11/09

7 comments:

Mighty M said...

Gorgeous picture of your cat!! Happy Saturday!

gaelikaa said...

I also liked the cat picture!

Agnes said...

I agree, gorgeous cat!!!
I love your backyard, Judy!

Jules said...

That looks like a lot of work, but oh so rewarding when you are done. We did it about 3 weeks ago.

Stephen Tremp said...

I love raking laves. Growing upin Michigan with a large yard full of large maple trees, I did a lot of raking. Living on Southern California, well, there just aren't many opportunities to rake leaves anymore.

Stephen Tremp

The Redhead Riter said...

TinkTink makes me want to take a nap...LOL

Judy,

I've posted the answer to your question about the flower here:

http://askredhead.blogspot.com/2009/11/winter-cherry.html

Have a great day! It is one of my favorite flowers.

paperbeads said...

I don't think I will be able to step on your beautiful canvas rug...