Monday, August 20, 2012

Low Fat, Low Sodium- Do You Like Brussel Sprouts


     Do you like brussel sprouts? I do, and what's so strange, I prefer the frozen rather than the fresh! I found a great recipe for baked brussel sprouts on the Food Network, under the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook.  The only thing is, she uses fresh ones. So I modified her recipe a bit. 
     I only had an old cake pan to cook them in, but I placed a small bag of frozen brussel sprouts Green Giant, Birdseye or pictsweet (have you tried the pictsweet brand at Walmart-I was surprised, their food is really good), it so happens, the ones I used this time were the pictsweet brand. Spread them out as much as you can, drizzle three tablespoons of olive oil (the olive oil for cooking, which in my case is Crisco Light Tasting olive oil (best for frying and baking).
A pinch of salt, and ground black pepper. Mix well, until you see an oil sheen over all the sprouts. Cook 45 minutes in a pre-heated 400 degree oven, or until they start turning a golden brown and are hot all the way through. See the picture at the top of the page. To me, they were delicious and so easy to prepare!

      

3 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

I love brussel sprouts, but I don't think I could get my wife to even try them. And I always get the frozen ones when I get them, which is not often since I'm the only one in my house who will eat them. Sad because they really are good.


Lee
Wrote By Rote

A said...

Many of my friends love brussel sprouts... I do not love them. But I always thought they looked pretty.

Judy Harper said...

I agree with you, Lee. About they're delicious! Have you tried baking them? They're even better.
A-have you ever tried one? Baked gives them a totally different flavor!