Monday, August 13, 2012

Gallbladder Surgery AND Low Sodium, Low Fat Diet!

Fresh Fruits & Veggies-picture from Squidoo


     On July 19th, I had my gallbladder removed. When I awakened I felt good, the reflux wasn't bothering me!  My brother said the doctor's instruction were to take it easy and eat whatever I felt comfortable with. So Thursday and Friday I stuck with soups.  Even still, by Saturday, diarrhea set in, which lasted for two weeks.  By that time I had become dehydrated, even though I drank Powerade like water. When I went to the doctor, he said I had a stomach infection, plus my body wasn't adjusting to the fat in my diet. 
     He said that though I no longer have a gallbladder, the liver still produces bile, which was also causing a problem.  His suggestion, cut out as much fat in my diet as possible. This means Kolaches as well! We have a bakery here called Pops Donuts which takes smoked sausages with cheese, covers them with dough and bake, Kolaches. On my way to Sunday school, I'll sometimes stop and buy a few for the class.  But I discovered today that I may have to give them up as they upset my stomach as well.
     Friday I went to the Food Network website and found a few low sodium, low fat recipes.  The one I tried today was Ellie Krieger's Tuscan Vegetable Soup
            
Cooking, can you see the steam?

Ready to eat! 

     I didn't follow the recipe exactly. One, I'm not crazy about Zucchini, so I left it out. Plus, I didn't use the can of diced tomatoes, because a lot of tomatoes and juice bothers me as well. So I substituted 4 Campari tomatoes, they're juicy, high sugar and low acidity.
Larger than a cherry tomato, smaller and rounder than a plum tomato.

     I also substituted Basil for Thyme, simply because I didn't have any Thyme, plus I left out the sage. I also found the cooking times for me were 7 minutes and 5 minutes. The soup was delicious! I found that I was able to eat the celery because it wasn't cooked to death, you know, the slimy consistency. Did you know celery was a natural salt flavoring? Speaking of salt, if you're just coming off of salt, you taste buds are going to be shocked until you get use to less salt, but once you adjust, the food tastes so much better.  Once your body adjust to less sodium, eating regular food will taste too salty! 
     Below is my modified recipe of Tuscan Vegetable Soup:
          1 15 oz can low-sodium canellini beans, drained and rinsed
          1 Tablespoon olive oil
          1/2 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
          2 carrots diced (abut 1/2 cup) I used 14 baby cut carrots
          2 stalks celery, diced (about 1/2 cups)
          1 clove garlic, minced
          1 medium pinch of dried Basil leaves (not fresh, but from a jar)
          1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt
          1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
          15 oz can of low-sodium chicken brother
          4-5 Campari tomatoes sliced and quartered
          2 cups chopped baby spinach leaves
          I substituted 1 tablespoon of vanilla yogurt for the 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Directions

     In a small bowl mash half of the beans with a masher or the back of a spoon, set aside
     Heat the oil in a large soup pot (I used a 2-quart sauce pan, as you can see from the picture) over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, basil, salt and pepper, and cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender, abut 5-7 minutes.
     Add the broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil (I added a 1/3 cup of water since I didn't have the tomato juice, but it wasn't needed). Add the mashed and whole beans and the spinach leaves and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3-5 minutes more.
     Serve topped with vanilla yogurt or Parmesan.  

The thing about this recipe is that in about 25 minutes, from start to finish, the soup is on the  table to eat!     

4 comments:

Trica Jus said...

share your words of motivation
Be careful with love, because love can also make healthy people sick, fat people become thin, normal people become crazy, the rich become poor, the king becomes a slave, if his love was greeted by false lovers.
may be accepted, Greetings and I wait behind the visit: D

A said...

I hope you are feeling better Judy. I am guessing the body will need a little time to adjust...
The soup looks delicious :-)

Jesse said...

Hello Judy, that's nice. That's so nice of you to share these recipes. By the way, good thing your surgery went okay. Did it really hurts when it wasn't removed?
By the way, for more info about gallbladder, please click here

maggie.danhakl@healthline.com said...

Hi Judy,

Healthline just published a visualization of your daily value of sodium. In the chart, you can see what half of your DV of salt looks like for 30 foods: http://www.healthline.com/health/high-blood-pressure-hypertension/daily-value-sodium

This is very valuable content as it puts nutrition information into perspective and helps a person understand how much sodium is actually in their food. I thought this would be of interest to your audience and wanted to see if you would include this as a resource on your page: http://sixtyisjustthebeginning.blogspot.com/2012/08/gallbladder-surgery-and-low-sodium-low.html

If you do not believe this would be a good fit for a resource on your site, even sharing this on your social communities would be a great alternativeto help get the word out.

Thanks for your time reviewing. Please let me know your thoughts and if there are any questions I can answer.

All the best,
Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
p: 415-281-3124 f: 415-281-3199

Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

About Us: corp.healthline.com