Thursday, August 16, 2012

Does God Tempt You?

Tigger the squirrel outside my window.

     Do you ever feel like you've been rejected, that you're unloved? How about God has forgotten me because if I didn't "have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all"? 
     Imagine if you were a seventeen year old boy who was the only son of his father and his father's favorite wife. That one day your father sent you on an errand, where you discovered that your brothers were so jealous of you they were willing to kill you. Instead, they placed you in a well, then sold you into slavery, killed an animal for it's blood; took your coat of many colors and smeared it with the 
blood,then lied to your father by saying you were dead.
     Our study of Joseph in Sunday school has looked at him from a different angle. That of a young man and what he must have felt and thought. One thing is for sure, some of the problems and situations that happen to me are nothing compared to what he went through.  
     It has been brought out though, that God doesn't tempt you.  He may allow Satan to, but he always gives you a way out, such as when Potiphar's wife tempted Joesph. That is so reassuring to know!

4 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

I know that God doesn't tempt us, but I try to be in prayer as much as I can to have Him keep me from temptation. It still doesn't stop me from listening sometimes and then I screw up big time when I succumb to temptations. At my age you'd think I'd know better, but I guess we can be stupid at any age. I'll keep praying for more wisdom.



Lee
Wrote By Rote

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

Of course it's not the temptation that matters so much, since Jesus Himself was tempted by the devil in the wilderness. It's whether or not we resist the temptation to do wrong that really matters.

~ D-FensDogg
'Loyal American Underground'

Mommy Attorney said...

Joseph's story is one of the most inspirational ones in the Bible to me. He got a promise from God, and had to wait for YEARS... as a slave, as a prisoner... to see God's promise fulfilled. Can you imagine God telling you that you would rule nations, and then finding yourself falsely accused and stuck in prison? Amazing story of faith and faithfulness.

Judy Harper said...

Lee-I agree, you'd think we'd learn to resist, but I don't.
Stephen-I've always heard, it's not how many times you fall, but how many times you get up!
Laura-I've known about Joseph and what he did for years, but this study brought out that he was just a 17 year kid, yet he had faith to wait for God's promise, like you said. I am so relating to him at this point!