Monday, April 9, 2012

Genealogy and Spring!

SAR ceremony for Thomas Hilley 2006
Thomas Hilley

Manila Hilley Harper about 1920



     There's something about Spring that makes me want to do more Genealogy. I have had a lot of success in the last couple of months with several of my family trees.
     One big reward is that I discovered my Grandmother on my Dad's side had a connection to someone having fought in the American Revolution, but also I'm trying to complete a paper trail that shows the Hilley's came from Cork, Ireland. 
     Thomas Hilley was was a private in the American Revolution. In 2006 he was honored by the SAR & DAR with a headstone depicting this revelation.
     I have gotten lax also about sorting and filing my backup, such as notes, pictures and documents, that I am overwhelmed with the disarray!  So I'm having to take time to file and get stuff in order.  
     I also purchased the 2012 Ancestry Family Tree Maker.  It is wonderful! I'm going to do a post on this fantastic software.
     Have any of y'all watched Ancestry's "Who Do You Think You Are?" In my location, it comes on Friday nights.  So far I've watched Reba McIntire track her family.  I was impressed and picked up a few pointers, one being there's nothing like traveling to a location to research rather than trying to find everything on line! 
    How is y'all's research doing? Any nuggets found?

2 comments:

A said...

Six degrees of separation, I guess we are all connected, right? We are all distant relatives of everyone? Such a comforting thought :-)

Judy Harper said...

Yes, but it's always nice to "be up close and personal". lol