Thursday, September 9, 2010

Let Me Tell You About Mrs. E

Mrs. E 2010

I want to tell you about this wonderful lady I know, Mrs. E. She's a member of my church and since I started in April 2010 working with the senior adults, I've gotten to know this amazing woman.

The first time I had a chance to really get to know her was on our van, which I drove, trip to the Dulcimer festival.  If you've never heard a being Dulcimer played, you're in for a treat! As I waited, by the van in the church parking lot, for those going on the trip, Mrs. E drove up in her maroon colored car, parked it and spryly got out.  You will understand why I say spryly as I go along. Mrs. E is about 5'4". One of her many activities is singing in our church choir. One of her most endearing qualities is her dry wit. She has a schedule of people she regular meets for breakfast, some are friends and some are relatives, as she says, "those that are still around".

One of her passions at the moment is sending letters to different politicians and people who might help prevent the senior citizen center at the local college from being closed, you see, she goes at least twice a week, to put down her mat and exercise.  It was so hot exercising this summer for them as the air conditioner was out .A determined Mrs. E made phone calls until she made a connection with someone who listened and was willing to help.  The very next day as they entered, cool air was blowing across the room! The air conditioner was repaired!  She also walks for exercise along the walking trails at the college and from reliable sources, up until a few years ago, climbed a ladder and swept off her house roof.

A couple of weeks back, at the church Wednesday evening meal, I watched her push herself away from the table, she had leg strength to just stand to take her food tray to the dirty dishes table, didn't even have to give herself a push with her arms on the table. Her flexibility and mobility is amazing! She's mentally sharp and loves life. But do you know what the most amazing thing is, she's 89 years old! Can you believe that?  She really doesn't want people to know that, but if it was me and I could be as active as she is, be as interested in life I would be proud! I'd shout it from the rooftop.  I just wanted to express my respect and awe of this wonderful woman!  

2 comments:

Agnes said...

Wow, she is 89 and so active -- so inspiring.

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

J!3, it's amazing!
With that hair and those sunglasses, she looks just like a young Bob Dylan! Can she play "Blowin' In The Wind" on a dulcimer?
;o)

~ D-FensDogg
'Loyal American Underground'