Saturday, September 18, 2010

Judy's In The Air Force Now! On to Permanent Party! Part 7

Can You Believe the long hair! Hemisfair, San Antonia, TX 1968
Notice my Polaroid camera. And if I remember correctly, the outfit is
one my mom made for me.
****************************
You can read the series by clicking on Air Force under Archives.. The first part of the series
is Here, one of my favorites is Here
********************

I arrived at my permanent assignment, Lackland AFB, in April 1967, which means the 1968 I have in my prior title "Bivouac, 1968", was incorrect, as I went there before arriving at Lackland. Oh well, memory has a tendency to wavier occasionally. 

My assignment was to work at the hospital located across the street from the barracks, it's now called Wilford Hall Medical, though for some reason, I seem to remember it as USAF Hospital, Lackland.  
Lackland Hospital/Wilford Hall
Lackland AFB/Wilford Hall

I envisioned working in the surgical unit or a unit taking care of returning injured soldiers, but no, I was assigned the OB/GYN floor.  Most of the time I worked on the OB/delivery side, but occasionally, I helped out on the GYN side. Now I realize someone has to take care of post pregnant women, I just wish it hadn't been me. You would think they'd be happy and excited, but no, most of them wanted to be waited on, "Could you please get me a glass of orange juice?".  So I enjoyed working on the OB side more, where I at least was able to draw blood, put in catheters, help out in delivery. 

Working here was the first time I came into contact with cultural dislike.  One of the airmen was from California, and for some reason, she disliked all Southerners.  I never understood why.  I had never been subjected to out and out dislike, not because I had personally done something to her, but because I was from the South. I was blindsided by her cruel comments and because she had more stripes than I, she could determine my tasks for the day.  When we worked on the same day, I knew I would receive more bedpan duty than anyone else on the floor that day, and I came to expect I would be sent on errands all over the hospital, sometimes finding out they were false destinations. Once I returned to the floor, I was met with her and the Major standing at the desk, waiting for me to step off the elevator.  They then would burst out in laughter.  Her favorite jib was the way I used the word "double". I grew up with the term "double the sheets" rather than fold the sheets. She never missed the opportunity to humiliate me in front of others when I used this term.  Needless to say, it didn't take me long to stop using that phrase. But eventually, I won, I was stationed to an overseas base, and I hadn't even applied, while she, who had signed up many times, stayed in the OB/GYN ward.

Have you ever met with cultural dislike? Not for who you are, but where you're from.

4 comments:

Rachel Cotterill said...

That's so horrible :( I'm glad to hear you won in the end! I'm going to go back and read the beginning of this story now... :)

Lisa said...

Judy,
I have lived all over the south I ventured norht to MIlwaukee as an adult in the 80's and as a teacher was the brunt of much ridicule for my Southern drawl. I "yes ma'am-ed and sir-ed" my students as southern manners would dictate. I was accused of being n a high horse, being fake and put on... it took most of the school yearfor them to learn it was all real. I did not get a particular position in my neighborhood school after a long term sub assignment... later I learned from a parent the scuttlebitt was that I spoke funny! And Milwaukee is full of eastern Europeans who speak with language accents.... how unfortunate so many are so narrow minded.
Good for you to get your transfer! Leaving her behind!! I love that part.

Clarissa Draper said...

Not directly but I'm sure it happens a lot. I know lot from all over the US and sure there are cultural differences but everyone's unique and wonderful.

CD

Agnes said...

I love the photo, the long hair, the camera, the dress, everything -- but you already knew that :-)

I am so glad you "won" Judy!