Monday, January 4, 2010

JUST ABOUT TODAY IN MY LIFE-Carjacking Update

My Car or at least part of my car!


On Tuesday, December 1st, 2009, I was carjacked, as some of you know.  You can read the story
Here and Here .  I have an update from Tuesday, December 29th, 2009.

Do you ever watch "Law and Order" or any police story where they bring pictures to the victim or someone to look at and see if they can pick out the person or persons who committed the crime?  Just like that, they're picked out and then the police pick them up for arrest and trial.  Well, I'm hear to tell you, it's not that easy!

The detective handling my case did call and want to bring out pictures for me to choose from.  I began to become nervous, and kept telling myself to calm down, they were only pictures.  Still, I was nervous, I kept thinking, "What if I can't recognize him?" Then I told myself, just put your hands across the picture so you only see the portion that you would recognize.  I neglected to do this and while I did choose him in the final two, I picked the wrong one!

Come to find out, that he is a seventeen year old who having stolen my car, drove it to a fifteen year old friend's apartment and parked it while he went inside and bragged about what he had done. The fifteen year old reported this to the apartment complex manager, who told the detective when he returned to ask around to see if anyone had seen anything.  It seems the seventeen year didn't even live in the apartments.  I bet he wishes he hadn't stopped there as the police now have evidence they can use against him.

There were two head bandannas in the front seat and only one person hit me with his fist and stole my car.  The detective said that it would be easier if I could have picked him out of the picture line up, as they then could have requested a DNA sample to compare with the DNA results from the bandannas, once they come back.  Though this could take up to four months, depending on how backlogged the lab is.  What he intended doing is to go and talk with the fifteen year old and his mother.  Stressing that because this is a carjacking and a federal case, he will do more time if he goes to trial and is convicted, especially if he only went for a joyride rather than taking part in the carjacking.  His time will be less if he states that the seventeen year old is the one who committed the crime and will then say so in court.  He also will stress he needs to do this before the DNA results come back and the fifteen year old's DNA is on one of the bandannas.  At that time both will be arrested. 

It seems they are members of a gang.  I don't understand why kids do this!  Their lives will be ruined, when convicted.  Of course, for his picture to be on file, he must have already done some crime. 

I now have flood lights hooked up on my deck to throw light across it and the area where they young man was standing in the dark, waiting.  It is helping me not to sit in my car, when I come home after dark, for five minutes building up the courage to race to my house door and into the house.  I will do something more permanant at a later date, but at least I don't feel like a prisioner in my own home!

Hope everyone is having a great new decade!

7 comments:

arlee bird said...

The whole gang culture is a sore spot with me. I'm sure you are quite aware of the gang problem we face out here in L.A. Unfortunately, it is a problem that blights our entire country as well as other countries. It's a shame that much popular media like rap music and movies glorify gangster life. And then we have so many legal groups and such defending the rights of gang members. Excuse me? What happened to the rights of us citizens who pay the bills? Something seriously needs to be done about the problem.

Hope your 2010 is the best year ever.

Lee

Judy Harper said...

Lee-I know what you mean! We can target a tank 2000 miles away, but we can't bring gangs under control. There's something wrong with this picture! Personally, I think we should go back to allowing measures to take care of one's family, anyway we have to!

Mattenylou said...

Yeesh, don't these kids know they are ruining their own lives?... forever?

Judy, I hope all is going okay for you and you are able to put this behind you somehow. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

MelRoXx said...

Gang? sounds bad! I mean they are only 15 & 17... Why are they ruining their life?

Rummuser said...

The motivation for teenage crime is a major subject in itself and there is no point in our wondering about it. We must accept that it exists, yes, even in India it does, and take such steps as necessary to protect ourselves to the best of our ability.

You are going through a perfectly normal reaction and you will get over it by and by. All the best.

Tesa said...

What a story. At first I was going to say congrats to the 15-year-old for turning in the 17-year-old, but now it sounds like he was involved too. It's so frustrating when you see kids throwing their lives away like that.

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better about it all. You'll get there. One day you'll just pull in and walk in and realize you are in your house and you didn't even think about the incident. It may take awhile but you'll get there.

Hapy New Year to you too!

Helen McGinn said...

Judy, oh how awful. I've never understood gang culture; I understand peer pressure and even idiotic behaviour but not that. It doesn't make logical sense in that to try and prove your oneupmanship, you need to commit a crime which you most certainly will get convicted for! Surely they can't ALL be unable to grasp this? It is so sad and ridiculous. I'm glad they have been caught.