Sunday, November 8, 2009

Veterans Day

Tomorrow is Veterans Day, in honor of those who served and especially those who died.  Being a Veteran of the Air Force, and having served during Viet Nam, 1966-1969, I'm going to share some of my memories of that time.


Judy Harper 1966

The above picture was taken to send to our parents as well as the local newspaper.  We weren't aware of this at the time we had our picture taken.



1966-67

The above outfit was what we wore daily.  This uniform was known as our Fatigue Uniform.  We wore this to work in or play soldiers during our pretend war games.  Which are coming up!




Above is my unit going through Bivouac trials during training.  Before graduating from technical training, we had to go through a setting where we're camping out and pretending we're at a unit in a war zone, since I was in a medical unit, we had to rescue pretend injured personnel and bring them back to the medical unit to administer treatment.  One of the tests is where four of us women had to carry an injured male airman back to the unit.  This involved sliding under strings,  with cans filled with rocks (simulating wires with explosives).  If we touched a can by mistake, it would rattle, letting everyone know we set off an explosion.  This meant we had to start all over.  Then we had to lift him over a high wall and across swinging bridges with smoke bombs going off.  I can tell you it was a fun day, as you can see from the picture below!




This activity happened at Wichita Falls, Texas, Shepard AFB, between March and April 1967.  It was cold and the wind would blister your face, as you can see!  What made it even worse was that we had to go back to class after a session.  The last time back, as we crossed a walkway bridge, one of the airmen startled a skunk, who immediately sprayed him.  I still remember the smell of wet wool, sweat and skunk!



Lovely picture!

After technical training, my permanent base was Lackland AFB, San Antonio, Texas.  I was stationed there for almost a year, then sent to Kadena AFB, Okinawa.  I stayed there from September 1968 through July 1969.

I also want to honor my nephew Carl Spatz, who is an Air Controller for the Air Force and is currently stationed in Missouri, soon to be sent to Guam.

 

And of course my Dad, Clifford William Harper 1916-1982......



Clifford Harper 1941 the Fiji Island




Military Police 1942 Fiji Island





8 comments:

The Redhead Riter said...

SUCH LOVELY PICTURES! I love the first one of you! You are a brave woman!!! I admire you and your family. I am also very grateful for your/their sacrifice to protect our country. Thank you and lots of ♥ from me to you.

gaelikaa said...

What an amazing experience, Judy! It must be a great memory!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures and for the reminder how much we owe our veterans!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Agnes said...

Oh wow! Judy! What a beautiful post!

Thank you for having fought for this country Judy.

Judy Harper said...

Thanks for all of your comments! They mean a lot! When I joined, serving my country was one of the reasons, but I also received a great adventure to take with me for the rest of my life!

Mighty M said...

What a wonderful remembrance! Happy Veteran's Day to you!

sheeza said...

great judy you are really a strong women. i really admire you.

and the pictures were awesome. you lock nice.

Jules said...

Thank you Thank you Thank you for serving!!!

Thanks for the reminder too. I have to call my Dad tomorrow. He served in the Korean war.